Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pork and Beans from The Red Album


Weezer was back!With their 6th Album-The Red Album (another album with color title after the 'blue' and 'green' albums). They released their album on 3rd July but poor them, it was leaked out before the release on the internet, and their single, 'Pork and Beans' was uploaded on p2p software like iMesh and Limewire.

When I first listened to the singalong melody of the Pork and Beans, it reminds me back to the glory days of Weezer, the chunka-chunka guitar hooks swing me back to 90's, as good as their Pinkerton, Blue, and Green albums. It almost resembling the El Scorcho or Buddy Holly. Yea, I was the number 1 fan of =w=, I listened to the Buddy Holly when I was at the age of 13(borrowed my uncle's cd at that time), and I was like mesmerized to their catchy-tunes and brilliant lyrics! Since then I started to look out for their other songs, where later I found out that Island in The Sun, Butterfly, and O'Girlfriend were magnificient too when I was in Form 4.

The picture above is the cover of the album. You can see that the band members are wearing the Village People costumes. Rivers Cuomo seemed to be getting older and more matured, but his wired-glass was never changed! His eccentric geekness rocks the socks through a clever and irrestisible lyrics and cranked-up amplifier!

No one can denies, Cuomo is a genius powerpop persona. Graduated from Harvard University, he was conferred a phi beta kappa (most prestigious honors for arts and science undergraduate in America). I personally admired him, as much as my honorable respect for the Icelandic Bjork.

Their v/clip for Pork and Beans is a must-watch one!It's so hilarious, featuring many YouTube celebrities. You'll definitely crack a laughter when you see the video!

I keep on repeating the song today. It's loud, very radio-friendly,till I can't resist to play it again and again. My cousin had just send The Greatest Man that Ever Lived, another hit from the Red Album. I cant make a review on it yet, since I had just received it and played it for the first time.

Overall, Weezer had emerged back from their stagnation period, during Maladroit and Make Believe. They're ready to rock your socks now!

2 comments:

Nayrell said...

Weezer is cool!=D i lurve their songs and had some in my safekeeping,one of the great bands ever and no one can denies that...

Wan Farhanim said...

yep2...it's my all-time favorite.:)